There are many opinions and myths surrounding facial care. We show what is really important for a beautiful skin tone.
Facial care plays a central role in the field of skincare. But what do you actually need to pay attention to in order to get a beautiful skin tone? There are countless products on the market and maybe you have asked yourself which ones are really important for the face. In this basic article, we’ll introduce you to everything about skincare for the face.
Determine your skin type
Before you start looking for skincare products, it is important to determine your own skin type. The lipid content and moisture of a cream is not suitable for every skin type. By the way: With our test, you can easily determine your skin type.
- Normal skin: Who wants to be normal these days? In terms of skin type probably everyone. Because normal skin is uncomplicated in its care. It is characterized by a smooth surface that is neither too dry nor too greasy.
- Dry skin: Dry skin has an increased risk of dryness lines. The skin can be rough and reddened in places. Since the body produces less sebum with age, dry skin can also simply occur as a result of aging.
- Oily/impure skin: Oily skin is characterized by an oily film on the skin. Oily skin tends to develop blackheads, pimples, and impurities in general.
- Combination skin: Combination skin poses a challenge for skincare as it does not have a uniform skin texture. The forehead and cheeks are often oily, while the eye area is dry. It is recommended to care for the affected areas with a cream that is suitable for itself rather than resorting to a uniform cream for combination skin.
- Sensitive skin: This skin type tends to unpleasant redness or irritation. Many skin care products are out of the question because the skin is very sensitive. It is often a lengthy process of trial and error until you find the right face cream for you.
Facial care: differences in age
Care products are not only classified according to skin type. Age can also play a decisive role. Young skin is elastic and requires less care. The products’ moisture is more important than their anti-aging effect. Older skin on the other hand needs more care and a deep-acting cream.
Facial care: influence of the season
In summer, the focus is on facial care with sun protection, while in winter it is all about protecting the skin from drying out. Oily and moisturizing products are particularly suitable for this. The use of serum is also generally more important in winter than in other seasons.
Spring and autumn represent a transition to summer and winter. As a result, you can easily adjust aspects such as sun protection (spring) or fat content (autumn).
The right routine
The basis and starting point of facial care is facial cleansing. If you wear make-up every day, you must cleanse your face of residues, otherwise, skin irritation may occur. Especially with eyelashes, there is even a risk that they will break off due to the remaining mascara. Skin cleansing in the evening is the most important part.
Depending on your skin type you can adjust the facial cleansing with special products. For dry skin, a lotion or cleansing milk is recommended. Facial tonic should not contain alcohol, as this additionally dries out the skin. Baby oil is also suitable for cleansing dry skin. Normal soap for handwashing, on the other hand, is not designed for coating facial skin.
Which products do I need?
- Day Cream: With the Day Cream you lay the foundation for the whole day. A good day cream provides our skin with the necessary moisture and cares for the skin’s own protective film.
- Night cream: When you have removed your make-up and cleaned your skin, a good night cream is used. This gives the skin the necessary regeneration overnight and moisturizes it. Do you want to use your day cream at night as well? Better not, because the night cream contains richer ingredients. In addition, day creams often contain UV protection that you do not need at night.
- Eye cream: The skin under the eyes is very thin and sensitive. It is additionally stressed by the constant blinking. That’s why there are special eye creams that with their ingredients care for the sensitive skin areas especially well. Thus, wrinkles due to dryness can be avoided. The risk of crow’s feet also decreases with a good eye cream.
- Serum: Serums have enjoyed great popularity for several years. But what is actually behind them? Serums contain the ingredients of day or night creams in a very concentrated form. The product is therefore not intended for daily use, but for use in phases when you are particularly stressed or your skin is suffering specifically. Depending on your needs, you can then use the serum once or twice a week. It is only a supplement to the cream that you apply regularly afterward.
- Face mask: The mask is certainly one of the most popular beauty treatments. It is recommended to better protect the skin from foreign influences. There are different masks available for every conceivable skin problem. It is important that you adapt the type of mask to your skin type. For dry skin, moisture is important, while for oily skin it is a matter of removing the oily film. You can use moisturizing masks as often as you like (even daily), but cleansing masks should only be used a maximum of two to three times a week to prevent the skin from drying out
- Peeling: Peeling is a process of “peeling” or “peeling”. This is because peeling is about gently removing the uppermost layer of skin and thus creating space for layers underneath. Beauty products perform a superficial peeling, while a medium-depth peeling is performed by a beautician or even a doctor (deep peeling). In order not to damage the skin, superficial peeling should only be performed about once a week. In case of very oily and impure skin, it can be increased to twice a week, in case of extremely dry and sensitive skin rather only once a month. The products contain so-called abrasives that resemble coarse grains (mechanical peeling). Alternatively, there is the enzyme peeling which is suitable for impure and particularly sensitive skin.
Facial care: Practical home remedies
You are not a fan of make-up and various purchased care products? No problem. Home remedies can also help you to have a beautiful face. The advantage: With home remedies, you save money, because you already have many articles in your cupboard anyway. You also have better control over the ingredients and can put together your own creams or peelings.
- Face mask: The cucumber mask is probably the classic among masks. The high liquid content of the cucumbers additionally supports skin renewal. Especially with impure skin, a cucumber mask can work wonders.
- Eye care: With coconut oil, you can excellently care for the area around the eyes. The effect of coconut oil is absolutely versatile. Simply take some firm oil on your fingers and dab it carefully on the areas under the eyes.
- Exfoliation: With ordinary household remedies such as sugar or coffee grounds, you can do wonderful exfoliations. Mix one of these with egg yolk and a tablespoon of olive oil. Now you can gently massage the mixture into your face and let it work in. Then rinse the peeling off with warm water.
Important tips for facial care
Sun protection: Whether midsummer or winter, protect your skin with a day cream including UV protection. Also, pay attention to your lips. In the middle of summer, of course, you should use a proper sunscreen for your face when you are in the sun.
Nutrition: “You are what you eat. You are certainly not reading this saying for the first time. Your lifestyle, including your diet, has a great influence on the regeneration of your skin. A healthy sleep, avoiding tobacco, and a balanced diet are already half the battle for your face. Sufficient exercise in your everyday life also helps to ensure that your skin is not exposed to unnecessary stress.
Regular cleansing: Facial cleansing is the basis for good facial care. Only when you have thoroughly cleaned your skin can it properly absorb the skin care products. But do not overdo it. Cleansing in the morning and evening is absolutely sufficient.
Facial care: The 3 biggest mistakes
- The more the better: face cleansing and skin care should not be exposed to the use of too much cream and make-up. The term “stewardess disease” has become established for this care mistake. If we use too many products and also too large quantities, impure skin can be the consequence and we achieve the undesired opposite. Make sure to give your skin a day free of make-up, day cream, and co.
- Focus on the face: Many women focus their skin care on the face. Areas such as the neck or décolleté are quickly forgotten. But this can take its revenge with increasing age. The result: a young face and a wrinkled, dry neck. The skin in this area in particular is very dry and thin and needs a lot of care.
- Wrong and changing products: In this article, we have already gone into detail about the importance of your skin type for the selection of make-up and co. Women who still have a rather impure and oily skin over 30 can do even more damage to their skin with too much care. At the same time, it is important to include enough moisture in the care for dry skin.